Monday, October 10, 2011

Apple Hunting


We headed up to north Georgia over the weekend for our annual apple run.

One of my favorite stops, Hudson Apple House




My sister and her husband with a peck of Gingergolds, or as my sis calls them Ginger Doodles (she could never remember the name - but in her defense, she was on TheraFlu)


I ended up with five bushels of apples.  Let me tell you my secret on how to get LOTS of apples for little money.  I go in and ask for culls, or seconds.  They aren't near as pretty and are usually smaller apples; some are bruised and have rotting spots on them - so you have to cook them or eat them fast.  While the regular price of most apples were $12 for a 1/2 bushel, I got mine for $4 - $5 per 1/2 bushel bag.  I also got a great variety - Mutzu, Pink Lady, Fuji, Stayman Winesap, Empire, Sonata, Rome Beauty, and Granny Smith.

I looks like I have my work cut out for me this week making apple sauce and my kids favorite .... APPLE BUTTER!


One of the boy's favorite things about buying seconds is picking through the bags when we get home and finding some rotting apples for a game of pitch.










I will tell you that the birds were extremely happy in my yard this morning!

No comments: