Thursday, March 22, 2012

Why I Left Facebook, and Why I Came Back

I've known for awhile now that Facebook was slightly creepy, and also that I was addicted to it.  I faced the fact that is was, indeed, really creepy when I saw a little boy at church (I am FB friends with his Mom) and when I said hi to him, he replied with, "How do you know my name?"  I told him I knew his Mom.  What I really thought was, boy ... I know what sheet set you sleep on and what your working on in school right now because yo mama post everything you do on FB!!  Then two weeks ago I saw a stranger - well he didn't know me anyway - but I knew his name and things about him, all because of FB friends who post things about this guy.  I then declared that enough is enough, life is better with a little mystery; and FB was a time sucker anyway. 

Let's face it, even though I know it's strange to know everything about some people, I couldn't get enough.  Just like the covers of magazines in the check out lines, I would log in to see what the latest gossip was.  I would look up my kid's teachers.  I would hear something about someone I didn't know and I'd look them up just to have a face with the name.  Pathetic.

The first couple of days without FB were kind of hard.  I was addicted to logging on, just "to see" if I had any notifications.  I sat at night watching TV with the iPad in hand with nothing to do.  However, after the 4th or 5th day, I realized I didn't really care anymore.  Goodbye FB, goodbye drama, goodbye teenagers posting poetic lyrics to songs.

But then .... yesterday I got a sweet card in the mail with an unexpected gift.  Guess what the only way I knew how to get in touch with the lady who gave it to me; yup ... Facebook.  I seriously didn't have her number or her email address.  So today, I caved and reactivated my account.  Be proud, I went straight to her wall and wrote a thank you, then straight to my account to change my email settings.  Now, I will get an email if someone friends me, messages me, or writes on my wall.  I will not log on just to snoop.  I will not post stupid statuses anymore.  We'll see how long this lasts.

No comments: