Friday, January 29, 2010

Not knitting, but knit shirts

I don't know why, but I've always been a little intimidated by knits and never felt I could sew with it. I thought I'd give it a try, though, after my Mom de-stashed her closet and gave me all her knit fabric. It was a perfect opportunity to finally try the Quiara shirt pattern from Farbenmix. As with all Farbenmix patterns, the seam allowance is NOT included. I found, however, that I shouldn't have added it. I kept taking off and taking off more in the shoulder to make it fit just right. Because of that, though, the body is snug - but still super cute.

I used a rolled hem on the short sleeve edge and along the bottom of the shirt for the rippled effect; and instead of hemming the sleeve, I just used the 3 thread overlock. Very easy and very fast.

What's great about this shirt is this: Red had fallen about 20 minutes before the pictures below were snapped and insisted she couldn't walk. She had literally been crawling around from place to place with her right leg dragging behind her. As soon as I pulled out a new shirt for her to try on and model; she jumped up and the following are just a FEW of her many poses she so sweetly gave. (Please excuse the pizza on the face).












I will definietely use this pattern again and I'm not quite as afraid of knits anymore. This was so easy and took less than an hour to make, even with all my fixing and taking in.

No comments: