Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Square Skirt How To (Kind of), Otherwise Knows as a Handkerchief Skirt Semi Tutorial

My daughter had a hand-me-down knit skirt that she loved, but I messed up with some laundry and it ended up with holes in it.  When I lay the skirt flat, it was a square; so I thought it would be simple enough to recreate.   I thought I'd share with you how I made my version; I'm calling it a semi tutorial as my instructions are probably not very clear.  Also, because the skirt didn't really turn out quite right; so I guess this is more a documentation of how I made my version of a square of handkerchief skirt.

My daughter is 7 and is wearing size 7s, and these measurements were for her. 
I started by cutting two rectangles out of some scrap knit, my short ends are 13 inches and the longer is 26.  My next one will be bigger - you'll see at the bottom of this post how it looks on my daughter, and I think I would have liked it longer.



I folded the rectangle in half to make a square, and then I cut a quarter circle out of the corner, so that when you open up the rectangle, it will be a semi circle in the middle of the fabric, as seen below two photos below.  I just eye-balled it and went in 3 inches on each side.


I then sewed my two rectangles together.

Now came the waistband.  I decided I wanted to try a yoga type waistband so I wouldn't have to use elastic.  I cut another rectangle 24 inches by 14 inches.  I came up with this measurement by wrapping the fabric around my daughter for the length.  The height was 14" because that's all of the material I had left :)   I sewed a seam along the short ends making a tube.


I then folded the tube wrong sides together like so:

Considering I didn't really measure anything, I was just cutting if it looked right.  Can you believe that the waist band fit the hole exactly?  I couldn't!  I fully expected to have to gather or stretch the skirt to fit the waist band.  In fact, as I was pinning and saw it was perfect I started singing out loud, "Wonder of wonders, miracle of miracles ...."

Anyway, I sewed the band to the skirt, right sides together.  Since I doubled the tube over, it finished the top

We tried it on and you can tell straight from the redhead's face .... she didn't like it at all!  I told you above that I figured out the waist by wrapping the material around her middle.  I really thought that with the seam allowance that it would be okay.  Now I know that I should have taken an inch off so it would be snug.  As they say, hindsight's 20/20; or as my dear sweet mother would say, hindsight's titty titty.  To this day, I don't know what that means, I'm pretty sure it was a joke she heard.


Above is with the waist band folded down.  Below is with it unfolded and she's showing how big I made it.  I do believe she is sucking in her belly just to prove a point that I messed up.



I never did finish the hem, since it's a knit I really don't have to.  But really, what's the point if the kid isn't going to wear it, right?

No comments: